Umbraco is an ASP.Net open-source Content Management System (CMS) written in C#.
Umbraco is optimized for the presentation of human-readable and human-editable website content. It is a completely customizable system – in other words, you can do anything with umbraco, it’s just a matter of how and if you need to use technologies outside of the basic umbraco framework.
Umbraco is written using ASP.Net technology, but to create a website in umbraco you don’t need to know anything about programming in ASP.Net, or C#. You can create your entire website in umbraco’s web-based interface.
Stuff you can do with umbraco’s interface :
- Create document types with whatever properties you want
- Add/edit content on your site
- Set your XHTML and CSS templates for different document types
- Upload and use photos and other images
- Create a basic membership system, to allow logged in people to view certain sections of your site
- Create separate user accounts with customizable permissions to access the back-end to write, edit and publish content
- Have a multi-lingual site
- Create dynamic navigation and pull your content dynamically (aka showing “latest” items on the homepage)
- Have your site consume RSS feeds
There are however, cool things you can do with your umbraco site if you know ASP.Net:
- Integrate with external systems
- Use web services
- Create custom ASP.Net user controls and use them in umbraco pages
Seekdotnet as a hosting provider can support umbraco hosting with the requirements