The DotNetNuke 5.3.0 is our first quarterly feature release that is benefiting from this new development process. This Alpha release is a merge between the 5.2.3 codebase and DotNetNuke 5.3.0 Sprint 1 development branch and includes the following features:
- Taxonomy – The base taxonomy feature includes a complete API and UI for creating and managing site taxonomies. The core taxonomy supports both flat and hierarchical taxonomies and allows for the creation of multiple vocabularies. Over time we anticipate that many modules will support the core taxonomy API rather than relying on their own categorization systems which are not portable across modules.
- Sitemap Provider – The new sitemap provider allows for greater control over the sitemap and allows individual modules to create a custom provider for their content. Unlike previous sitemap implementations, this feature delegates generation of the sitemap down to the individual module which has more knowledge over the URLs that are managed by the specific module or module instance. Once implemented, modules like blog and forums will be able to fully participate in generation of the sitemap which will aid in search engine optimization. The alpha release includes a new Sitemap module, but there is no specific page created in the admin menus. To test this new functionality, you will need to create your own page and add the Sitemap module to the page.
- Messaging Provider – The new messaging provider incorporates a messaging store and core API for delivery of both synchronous and asynchronous messages. The messaging provider is extensible and will allow for the creation of multiple delivery options. The alpha release includes a new Messaging module, but there is no specific page created in the admin menus. To test this new functionality, you will need to create your own page and add the Messaging module to the page.
- Telerik Control Wrappers – Beginning with DotNetNuke 5.2.0, we started shipping Telerik ASP.Net AJAX Web Controls with DotNetNuke Community Edition. The license only allows developers to use the Telerik controls if they have a separate developer’s license (which is also included as part of Professional Edition) or if DotNetNuke included specific wrappers for the Telerik controls. In 5.3.0 we are delivering wrappers for a number of Telerik Controls. These wrappers are included as part of the new DotNetNuke.web assembly. The wrappers include:
- DnnComboBox (RadComboBox)
- DnnGrid (RadGrid)
- DnnListBox (RadListBox)
- DnnMultiPage (RadMultiPage)
- DnnTabPanel (RadMultiPage, RadTabStrip)
- DnnTabStrip (RadTabStrip)
- DnnTextBox (RadTextBox)
- DnnTreeView (RadTreeView)
- DnnWindowManager (RadWindowManager)
Seekdotnet as DNN hosting can support this new version of DNN