If you’re just establishing your business and haven’t chosen a company name, up till now, then it’s a grand opportunity to make sure that you are able to schedule a domain name you are fond of. As Internet is playing such a significant role in any trade, in recent times; therefore don’t ever misjudge just how much of a difference a high-quality name can make to your business deals.
The practice to find and buy domain names that’s not previously listed can be somewhat a challenge; mostly if common words are implicated. It’s valuable making an allowance to register or buy domains including common words linked to your goods and services, since it is easier for people to bear in mind and it will moreover have better resale worth if you decide to get rid of your company or web site in the upcoming time. Furthermore, common words in an Internet domain name, whether hyphenated or not, can assist you to be established easily on search engines.
Don’t have your mind set on any one name, but make a record of several potential ones. It’s an excellent plan to make use of WHOIS application, since you crop up with ideas to find out whether a name has been in use or better still; registrars also merge a domain hunt and record task to make life simpler. Just typing an address into your browser will not be an exact approach to find out if a name is previously scheduled as immeasurable common ones presently registered are not operational.
Here are 5 great tips to sort out your domain portfolio:
1. Obtain an overview of domains registered by your company, any of your branches and by your business partners /distributors. Your distributor can be the owner of your brand related domains. They shouldn´t!
2. Update your WHOIS data. Ensure the same WHOIS data for all domains. Employees do not stay in the company forever, so make sure that the contact email is an email like [email protected] instead of [email protected]…
3. Reduce registrars to 1-3 registrars, as long as they can provide all top level domains. Historically registrants can have 5-15 registrars. Managing less contact will make the renewal reminder procedure easier. Forgetting to renew a domain with a certain registrar can be fatal. Domains can be lost, and when you discover the error, then it can be too late.
4. Find the gaps in your domain portfolio. Go through the list of domains registered. If you have the .de for Germany then do you have .fr for France? Ensure the most common .com (like the top 10 terms for .com brand abuse).
5. Define the traits of your Industry and identify your unique business factors. Does your business depend on one brand and your market is worldwide, then register your domain in all countries possible. Are you only doing business in Switzerland then ensure .ch and the generic domains (com,net, org…). Are you in a business sector where brand abuse is finding place (pharmaceutics, banking, telecoms) then ensure variations of your brand domain (typo ,search terms).